in the news ►
How One Program is Closing the College Persistence Gap . . .
in the news ►
LRDC Seeks Interns for Undergraduate Research Program
in the news ►
IWALS 2018: Registration Now Open
CUE Recommended Workshop
9:00 am - 3:30 pm, 4138 Posvar
Join the African Studies Program for their Teach Africa Workshop. Learn and discuss how to use free multi-media curriculum units to strengthen the teaching of African Studies in the classroom. Speakers include Fulbright Hays Educators who designed cutting edge multi-media Ethiopian curriculum units, and in the field language teachers.
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, Martin Room, 4127 Sennott Square
Kirsten McKone will present.
PittHonors Climate Change Series
► More Talks
2:00 pm, WPU Assembly Room
Steve Cohen, Executive Director of The Earth Institute, Columbia University, will present "Mitigating Climate Change by Transitioning to a Renewable Resource-Based Economy."
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., Moore, D. Dorph, R., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). Investigating the multidimensionality of engagement: Affective, behavioral, and cognitive engagement across science activities and contexts. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Witherspoon, E., Schunn, C. D., Higashi, R., & Shoop, R. (2018). Attending to structural programming features predicts differences in learning and motivation. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 34(2).
- Fan, Q., Nummenmaa, A., Wichtmann, B. Witzel, T., Mekkaoui, C., Schneider, W., Wald, L. L., & Huang, S. Y. (2018). Validation of diffusion MRI estimates of compartment size and volume fraction in a biomimetic brain phantom using a human MRI scanner with 300 mT/m maximum gradient strength. NeuroImage.
- Tuninetti, A., & Tokowicz, N. (2018). The influence of a first language: Training nonnative listeners on voicing contrasts. Language, Cognition, and Neuroscience.
- Litman, D. J., & Nguyen, H. V. (2018). Argument mining for improving the automated scoring of persuasive essays. Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., Moore, D., Dorph, R., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). Investigating the multidimensionality of engagement: Affective, behavioral, and cognitive engagement across science activities and contexts. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Page, L. C., Iriti, J. E., Lowry, D. J., & Anthony, A. M. (2018). The promise of place-based investment in postsecondary access and success: Investigating the impact of the Pittsburgh Promise. Education Finance and Policy.
- Matsumura, L. C., & Correnti, R. (2018). Student writing accepted as high-quality analytic responses to analytic text-base writing tasks. The Elementary School Journal.
- Derringer, C., & Rottman, B. (2018). How people learn about causal influence when there are many possible causes: A model based on informative transitions. Cognitive Psychology.
- Kinloch, V., & Dixon, K. (2018). Professional development as publicly engaged scholarship in urban schools: Implications for educational justice, equity, and humanization. English Education, 50(2), 147-171
- Richey, E. J., Nokes-Malach, T. J., & Cohen, K. (2018) Collaboration facilitates abstract category learning. Memory and Cognition.
- Tuninetti, A., & Tokowicz, N. (2017). The influence of a first language: Training nonnative listeners on voicing contrasts. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience.
- Kinloch, V., & Dixon, K. (2017). Equity and justice for all: The politics of cultivating anti-racist practices in urban teacher education. English Teaching: Practice & Critique 16(3), 331-346.
- Dorph, R. Bathgate, M. E., Schunn, C. D., & Cannady, M. A. (2017). When I grow up: The relationship of science learning activation to STEM career preferences. International Journal of Science Education.
- van den Broek, P. & Helder, A. (2017). Cognitive processes in discourse comprehension: Passive processes, reader-initiated processes, and evolving mental representations. Discourse Processes, 54(5-6), 360-372.
- Helder, A., van den Broek, P., Karlsson, J., & Van Leijenhorst, L. (2017). Neural correlates of coherence-break detection during reading of narratives. Scientific Studies of Reading, 21(6), 463-479.
- San Pedro, T, & Kinloch, V. (2017). Toward projects in humanization: Co-creating and sustaining dialogic relationships. Centennial Issue of American Educational Research Journal, 54(1S), 373S-394S.
- Kinloch, V., Burkhard, T., & Penn, C. (2017). When school is not enough: Understanding the lives and literacies of Black youth. Teaching of English Journal, 52(1), 34-54.
- Kinloch, V. (2017). “You ain’t making me write”: Culturally sustaining pedagogies and Black youths’ performances of resistance. In D. Paris & H.S. Alim (Eds.), Culturally sustaining pedagogies: Teaching and learning for justice in a changing world (pp. 25-42). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Papay, J. P., Bacher-Hicks, A., Page, L. C., & Marinell, W. H. (2017). The challenge of teacher retention in urban schools: Evidence of variation from a cross-site analysis. Educational Researcher, 46(8), 434 – 448.
- Kinloch, V. (2017). Reading the world as text: Black adolescents and out-of-school literacies. In R.K. Durst, G. E. Newell, & J. D. Marshall (Eds.), English language arts research and teaching: Revisiting and extending Arthur Applebee’s contributions. New York: Routledge.
- Kinloch, V., Burkhard, T., & Penn, C. (2017). Beyond school: Examining the out-of-school literacies and counternarratives of adolescent learners. In K. Hinchman & D. Appleman (Eds.), Adolescent literacies: A handbook of practice-based research (pp. 61-77). New York: Guilford Press.
- Menekse, M., Higashi, R., Schunn, C. D. & Baehr, E. (2017). The role of robotics teams’ collaboration quality on team performance in a robotics tournament. Journal of Engineering Education, 106, 564–584.
- Libertus, K., Landa, R. J., & Haworth, J. L. (2017). Development of attention to faces during the first 3 years: Influences of stimulus type. Frontiers in Psychology, 8(1976).
- Witherspoon, E. B., Higashi, R. M., Schunn, C. D., Baehr, E. C., & Shoop, R. (2017). Developing computational thinking though a virtual robotics programming curriculum. ACM Transactions on Computing Education (TOCE), 18(1), 20.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved