in the news ►
Bringing Words to Life, by Moddy McKeown, Isabel Beck, and Linda Kucan, rated one of "ten books every teacher should read" by The Guardian.
in the news ►
Lindsay Page is cited in the September 2017 The Altantic article
in the news ►
Assistant professor of psychology Melissa Libertus has always loved math — and she's working to help others love it, too.
Cognitive Brown Bag
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, LRDC, 9th Floor
Regina Calloway, graduate student, will present "A Study, the Study: Structure Building During Text Processing." Cory Derringer, graduate student, will present "Negative Valence and Illusions of Causality."
School of Education Open House
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm, University Club, Ballroom A
Discover what the University of Pittsburgh School of Education has to offer. Meet with faculty, interact with current students, find out about about the application process with admissions representatives, and more. To register or find additional information, go here: bit.ly/SOE-OpenHouse17
5th Annual Carnegie Price in Mind and Brain Sciences
► More Talks
4:30 pm, Rashid Auditorium, Gates-Hillman Center, CMU
Carnegie Mellon University will award the fifth annual Carnegie Prize in Mind and Brain Sciences to Dr. Nora Volkow, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), National Institutes of Health, who will present "Molecular Imaging of Addictive Disorders."
- Chang, S. K., Guo, W., Yung, D., Zhang, Z., Zhang, H., & You, W. (2017). A mobile TDR system for smart phones. 23rd International DMS Conference on Visual Languages and Sentient Systems (DMSVLSS'17), pp. 75-85.
- Zhang, H., & Litman, D. (2017). Word embedding for response-to-text assessment of evidence. Proceedings of the 55th Annual Association for Computational Linguistics (Student Research Workshop), pp. 75-81.
- Bonner, S. M., & Thomas, A. S. (2017). The effect of providing instructional facilitation on student college readiness. Instructional Science.
- Egan, P. F., Moore, J. R., Ehrlicher, A. J., Weitz, D. A., Schunn, C., Cagan, J., & LeDuc, P. (2017). Robust mechanobiological behavior emerges in heterogeneous myosin systems. PNAS.
- Caner, T. Cohen, S. & Pil, F. (2017). Firm heterogeneity in complex problem solving: A knowledge-based look at invention. Strategic Management Journal, 38(9), 1791-1811.
- Papay, J. P., Bacher-Hicks, A., Page, L. C., & Marinell, W. H. (2017). The challenge of teacher retention in urban schools: Evidence of variation from a cross-site analysis. Educational Researcher. First published online.
- Calloway, R., & Perfetti, C. A. (2017). Integrative and predictive processes in text reading: The N400 across a sentence boundary. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience.
- Cao, F., & Perfetti, C. A. (2017). Neural signatures of the reading-writing connection: Greater involvement of writing in Chinese reading. PlosOne 11(12): e0168414.
- Chen, L., Fang, X., & Perfetti, C. A. (2017). Word-to-text integration: ERP evidence for semantic and orthographic effects in Chinese. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 42, 83-92.
- Fang, X., & Perfetti, C. A. (2017). Perturbation of old knowledge precedes integration of new knowledge. Neuropsychologia, 90, 270-278.
- Bhide, A. (2017). Copying helps novice learners build orthographic knowledge: methods for teaching Devanagari akshara. Reading and Writing.
- Kisa-Tekkumru, M. Schunn, C., Stein, M. K., & Reynolds, B. (2017). Change in thinking demands for students across the phases of a science task: An exploratory study. Research in Science Education.
- Booth, J. L., McGinn, K. M., Barbieri, C., Begolli, K., Chang, B., Miller-Cotto, D., Young, L. K., & Davenport, J. L. (2017). Evidence for cognitive science principles that impact learning in mathematics. In D. C. Geary & D. Berch, (Eds.), Mathematical cognition and learning: Vol. 3.
- Malone, K. L., Schunn, C. D., & Schuchardt, A. M. (2017). Improving conceptual understanding and representation skills through Excel-based modeling. Journal of Science Education and Technology.
- Schuchardt, A. M., Tekkumru-Kisa, M., Schunn,C. D., Stein, M. K., Reynolds, B. (2017). How much professional development is needed with educative curriculum materials? It depends upon the intended student learning outcomes. Science Education.
- Zhang, F., Schunn, C. D., Baikadi, A. (2017). Charting the routes to revision: An interplay of writing goals, peer comments, and self reflections from peer reviews. Instructional Science.
- Hentges, R. F. & Wang, M. T. (2017). Gender differences in the developmental cascade from harsh parenting to educational attainment: An evolutionary perspective. Child Development, 1, 1-17.
- Amemiya, J. L., & Wang, M. T. (2017). Transactional relations between motivational beliefs and help seeking from teachers and peers across adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 1, 1-15.
- Wang, M. T., Chow, A., Degol, J. L., & Eccles, J. S. (2017). Does everyone’s motivational beliefs about physical science decline in secondary school: Heterogeneity of adolescents’ achievement motivation trajectories in physics and chemistry. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 1, 1-18.
- Rottman, B. M. (2017). The acquisition and use of causal structure knowledge. In M.R. Waldmann (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Causal Reasoning (pp. 85-114). Oxford: Oxford U.P.
- Chan, J., & Schunn, C. D. (2017). A computational linguistic approach to modelling the dynamics of design processes. In B. T. Christensen & S. J. J. Abildgaard (Eds.), Analysing design thinking: Studies of cross-cultural co-creation (DTRS-11). Taylor & Francis/Belkema-CRC Press.
- Hourihan, K. L., Fraundorf, S. H., & Benjamin, A. S. (2017). The influences of valence and arousal on judgments of learning and on recall. Memory & Cognition, 45, 121-136.
- Chung, M. K., Hanson, J. L., Adluru N., Alexander, A. L., Davidson, R. J., & Pollak, S. D. (2017). Integrative structural brain network analysis in diffusion tensor imaging. Brain Connectivity.
- Hanson, J. L., van den Bos, W., Roeber, B., Rudolph, K.D., Davidson, R. J., & Pollak, S. D. (2017). Early adversity and learning: Implications for typical and atypical behavioral development. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Rahimi, Z., Litman, D., & Paletz, S. (2017). Acoustic-prosodic entrainment in multi-party spoken dialogues: Does simple averaging extend existing pair measures properly? Proceedings International Workshop on Spoken Dialogue Systems Technology (IWSDS), Farmington, PA.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved