in the news ►
How One Program is Closing the College Persistence Gap . . .
in the news ►
Assistant professor of psychology Melissa Libertus has always loved math — and she's working to help others love it, too.
in the news ►
IWALS 2018, 6th International Workshop on Advanced Learning Sciences. Perspectives on the Learner: Cognition, Brain, and Education
School of Education Candidate Talk
10:00 am, SOE Colloquium Room, 5604 Posvar
Jessica Watkins, Tufts University, will present "From Uncertainty to Sense-making: How Classroom Communities enter into Collective Scientific Pursuits."
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, Martin Room, 4127 Sennott Square
The Community for Advanced Methodological Learning (CAMeL) is holding a planning meeting to set the schedule for the spring semester. For more information, visit http://camel.fullboards.com/.
CNBC Brain Bag
► More Talks
6:00 pm, Mellon Institute Social Room, CMU
Lindsay Bahureska, mentored by Dr. Steve Chase, will present "Comparing M1 Neural Reorganization During Contralateral and Ipsilateral Visuomotor Rotation Learning," followed by Ryan Williamson, mentored by Drs. Byron Yu and Matt Smith, who will present "Expanding Intracortical Brain Computer Interfaces to non-Motor Brain Areas."
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., Moore, D. Dorph, R., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). Investigating the multidimensionality of engagement: Affective, behavioral, and cognitive engagement across science activities and contexts. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Witherspoon, E., Schunn, C. D., Higashi, R., and Shoop, R. (2018). Attending to structural programming features predicts differences in learning and motivation. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning.
- Tuninetti, A., & Tokowicz, N. (2017). The influence of a first language: Training nonnative listeners on voicing contrasts. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience.
- Kinloch, V., & Dixon, K. (2017). Equity and justice for all: The politics of cultivating anti-racist practices in urban teacher education. English Teaching: Practice & Critique 16(3), 331-346.
- Dorph, R. Bathgate, M. E., Schunn, C. D., & Cannady, M. A. (2017). When I grow up: The relationship of science learning activation to STEM career preferences. International Journal of Science Education.
- Vincent-Ruz, P., Binning, K., Schunn, C. D., & Grabowski, J. (2017). The effect of math SAT on women's chemistry competency beliefs. The Royal Society of Chemistry.
- van den Broek, P. & Helder, A. (2017). Cognitive processes in discourse comprehension: Passive processes, reader-initiated processes, and evolving mental representations. Discourse Processes, 54(5-6), 360-372.
- Helder, A., van den Broek, P., Karlsson, J., & Van Leijenhorst, L. (2017). Neural correlates of coherence-break detection during reading of narratives. Scientific Studies of Reading, 21(6), 463-479.
- San Pedro, T, & Kinloch, V. (2017). Toward projects in humanization: Co-creating and sustaining dialogic relationships. Centennial Issue of American Educational Research Journal, 54(1S), 373S-394S.
- Kinloch, V., Burkhard, T., & Penn, C. (2017). When school is not enough: Understanding the lives and literacies of Black youth. Teaching of English Journal, 52(1), 34-54.
- Kinloch, V. (2017). “You ain’t making me write”: Culturally sustaining pedagogies and Black youths’ performances of resistance. In D. Paris & H.S. Alim (Eds.), Culturally sustaining pedagogies: Teaching and learning for justice in a changing world (pp. 25-42). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Papay, J. P., Bacher-Hicks, A., Page, L. C., & Marinell, W. H. (2017). The challenge of teacher retention in urban schools: Evidence of variation from a cross-site analysis. Educational Researcher, 46(8), 434 – 448.
- Kinloch, V. (2017). Reading the world as text: Black adolescents and out-of-school literacies. In R.K. Durst, G. E. Newell, & J. D. Marshall (Eds.), English language arts research and teaching: Revisiting and extending Arthur Applebee’s contributions. New York: Routledge.
- Kinloch, V., Burkhard, T., & Penn, C. (2017). Beyond school: Examining the out-of-school literacies and counternarratives of adolescent learners. In K. Hinchman & D. Appleman (Eds.), Adolescent literacies: A handbook of practice-based research (pp. 61-77). New York: Guilford Press.
- Menekse, M., Higashi, R., Schunn, C. D. & Baehr, E. (2017). The role of robotics teams’ collaboration quality on team performance in a robotics tournament. Journal of Engineering Education, 106, 564–584.
- Libertus, K., Landa, R. J., & Haworth, J. L. (2017). Development of attention to faces during the first 3 years: Influences of stimulus type. Frontiers in Psychology, 8(1976).
- Witherspoon, E. B., Higashi, R. M., Schunn, C. D., Baehr, E. C., & Shoop, R. (2017). Developing computational thinking though a virtual robotics programming curriculum. ACM Transactions on Computing Education (TOCE), 18(1), 20.
- Tekkumru-Kisa, M., & Stein, M. K. (2017). A framework for planning and facilitating video-based professional development. International Journal of STEM Education, 4(28).
- Plummer, P., DeWolf, M., Bassok, M., Gordon, P.C., & Holyoak, K. (2017) Reasoning strategies with rational numbers revealed by eye-tracking. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics 79(5), 1426-1437.
- Galla, B. M. (2017). “Safe in my own mind:” Supporting healthy adolescent development through meditation retreats. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 53, 96-107.
- Cannady, M. A., Moore, D., Votruba-Drzal, Greenwald, E., Stites, R., & Schunn, C. (2017). How personal, behavioral, and environmental factors predict working in STEMM and non-STEMM middle-skill careers. International Journal of STEM Education, 4(22).
- Harms, M. B., Shannon Bowen, K. E., Hanson, J. L., & Pollak, S. D. (2017). Instrumental learning and cognitive flexibility processes are impaired in children exposed to early life stress. Developmental Science.
- Libertus, M., E., Liu, A., Pikul, O., Jacques, T., Cardoso-Leite, P., Halberda, J., & Bavelier, D. (2017). The impact of action video game training on mathematical abilities in adults. AERA Open.
- Bonner, S. M., & Thomas, A. S. (2017). The effect of providing instructional facilitation on student college readiness. Instructional Science.
- Egan, P. F., Moore, J. R., Ehrlicher, A. J., Weitz, D. A., Schunn, C., Cagan, J., & LeDuc, P. (2017). Robust mechanobiological behavior emerges in heterogeneous myosin systems. PNAS.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved