in the news ►
Bringing Words to Life, by Moddy McKeown, Isabel Beck, and Linda Kucan, rated one of "ten books every teacher should read" by The Guardian.
in the news ►
Assistant professor of psychology Melissa Libertus has always loved math — and she's working to help others love it, too.
in the news ►
IWALS 2018, 6th International Workshop on Advanced Learning Sciences. Perspectives on the Learner: Cognition, Brain, and Education
PIER Poster Session
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, 4405 Gates-Hillman Center
Please join the CMU Learning Science community for a poster session of individual projects from the graduate course on Educational Goals, Instruction, and Assessment (taught by Sharon Carver), which is a core course for both the Program in Interdisciplinary Education Research (PIER) and the Masters in Educational Technology and Applied Learning Sciences (METALS).
Black Minds Matter
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm, 5604 Posvar
"Advancing Black Male Policy, Support, and Research"
Graduate Student Coffee & Donuts Social
► More Talks
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM, LRDC 9th Floor
Join fellow graduate students for an end-of-year coffee and donuts social. Be sure to bring your own mug!
- van den Broek, P. & Helder, A. (2017). Cognitive processes in discourse comprehension: Passive processes, reader-initiated processes, and evolving mental representations. Discourse Processes, 54(5-6), 360-372.
- Helder, A., van den Broek, P., Karlsson, J., & Van Leijenhorst, L. (2017). Neural correlates of coherence-break detection during reading of narratives. Scientific Studies of Reading, 21(6), 463-479.
- San Pedro, T, & Kinloch, V. (2017). Toward projects in humanization: Co-creating and sustaining dialogic relationships. Centennial Issue of American Educational Research Journal, 54(1S), 373S-394S.
- Kinloch, V., Burkhard, T., & Penn, C. (2017). When school is not enough: Understanding the lives and literacies of Black youth. Teaching of English Journal, 52(1), 34-54.
- Kinloch, V. (2017). “You ain’t making me write”: Culturally sustaining pedagogies and Black youths’ performances of resistance. In D. Paris & H.S. Alim (Eds.), Culturally sustaining pedagogies: Teaching and learning for justice in a changing world (pp. 25-42). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Papay, J. P., Bacher-Hicks, A., Page, L. C., & Marinell, W. H. (2017). The challenge of teacher retention in urban schools: Evidence of variation from a cross-site analysis. Educational Researcher, 46(8), 434 – 448.
- Kinloch, V. (2017). Reading the world as text: Black adolescents and out-of-school literacies. In R.K. Durst, G. E. Newell, & J. D. Marshall (Eds.), English language arts research and teaching: Revisiting and extending Arthur Applebee’s contributions. New York: Routledge.
- Kinloch, V., Burkhard, T., & Penn, C. (2017). Beyond school: Examining the out-of-school literacies and counternarratives of adolescent learners. In K. Hinchman & D. Appleman (Eds.), Adolescent literacies: A handbook of practice-based research (pp. 61-77). New York: Guilford Press.
- Menekse, M., Higashi, R., Schunn, C. D. & Baehr, E. (2017). The role of robotics teams’ collaboration quality on team performance in a robotics tournament. Journal of Engineering Education, 106, 564–584.
- Libertus, K., Landa, R. J., & Haworth, J. L. (2017). Development of attention to faces during the first 3 years: Influences of stimulus type. Frontiers in Psychology, 8(1976).
- Witherspoon, E. B., Higashi, R. M., Schunn, C. D., Baehr, E. C., & Shoop, R. (2017). Developing computational thinking though a virtual robotics programming curriculum. ACM Transactions on Computing Education (TOCE), 18(1), 20.
- Tekkumru-Kisa, M., & Stein, M. K. (2017). A framework for planning and facilitating video-based professional development. International Journal of STEM Education, 4(28).
- Plummer, P., DeWolf, M., Bassok, M., Gordon, P.C., & Holyoak, K. (2017) Reasoning strategies with rational numbers revealed by eye-tracking. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics 79(5), 1426-1437.
- Galla, B. M. (2017). “Safe in my own mind:” Supporting healthy adolescent development through meditation retreats. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 53, 96-107.
- Cannady, M. A., Moore, D., Votruba-Drzal, Greenwald, E., Stites, R., & Schunn, C. (2017). How personal, behavioral, and environmental factors predict working in STEMM and non-STEMM middle-skill careers. International Journal of STEM Education, 4(22).
- Harms, M. B., Shannon Bowen, K. E., Hanson, J. L., & Pollak, S. D. (2017). Instrumental learning and cognitive flexibility processes are impaired in children exposed to early life stress. Developmental Science.
- Libertus, M., E., Liu, A., Pikul, O., Jacques, T., Cardoso-Leite, P., Halberda, J., & Bavelier, D. (2017). The impact of action video game training on mathematical abilities in adults. AERA Open.
- Bonner, S. M., & Thomas, A. S. (2017). The effect of providing instructional facilitation on student college readiness. Instructional Science.
- Egan, P. F., Moore, J. R., Ehrlicher, A. J., Weitz, D. A., Schunn, C., Cagan, J., & LeDuc, P. (2017). Robust mechanobiological behavior emerges in heterogeneous myosin systems. PNAS.
- Caner, T. Cohen, S. & Pil, F. (2017). Firm heterogeneity in complex problem solving: A knowledge-based look at invention. Strategic Management Journal, 38(9), 1791-1811.
- Papay, J. P., Bacher-Hicks, A., Page, L. C., & Marinell, W. H. (2017). The challenge of teacher retention in urban schools: Evidence of variation from a cross-site analysis. Educational Researcher. First published online.
- Booth, J. L., McGinn, K. M., Barbieri, C., Begolli, K., Chang, B., Miller-Cotto, D., Young, L. K., & Davenport, J. L. (2017). Evidence for cognitive science principles that impact learning in mathematics. In D. C. Geary & D. Berch, (Eds.), Mathematical cognition and learning: Vol. 3.
- Malone, K. L., Schunn, C. D., & Schuchardt, A. M. (2017). Improving conceptual understanding and representation skills through Excel-based modeling. Journal of Science Education and Technology.
- Schuchardt, A. M., Tekkumru-Kisa, M., Schunn,C. D., Stein, M. K., Reynolds, B. (2017). How much professional development is needed with educative curriculum materials? It depends upon the intended student learning outcomes. Science Education.
- Zhang, F., Schunn, C. D., Baikadi, A. (2017). Charting the routes to revision: An interplay of writing goals, peer comments, and self reflections from peer reviews. Instructional Science.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved