in the news ►
$7.4 Million to the IFL and CUE from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to Increase High-school Graduation Rates
in the news ►
Ming-Te Wang and co-authors' “Just Discipline and the School-to-Prison Pipeline in Greater Pittsburgh" charts disparities in school suspensions
in the news ►
Congratulations to the 2018 LRDC Undergraduate Research Interns
Prediction Journal Group
12:00 PM - 12:50 PM, CMU, 115 Mellon Conference Room
Michelle Colvin, Kole Norberg, and Zoe Zhou present "Separate Streams or Probabilistic Inference? What the N400 Can Tell Us About the Comprehension of Events" and "What Do We Mean by Prediction in Language Comprehension?"
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM, Conference Room 1495 BST
Dr. Susan Ingram, Associate Professor, Department of Neurological Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, presents “Cannabis and Pain: The Answer to the Opioid Epidemic.”
Linguistics Colloquim Series
► More Talks
3:00 PM - 4:15 PM, Cathedral of Learning G-13
Holman Tse presents "A Merger and a Split, but No Chain Shifting in Toronto Heritage Cantonese Vowels."
- Anzellotti, S., & Coutanche, M. N. (2018). Beyond functional connectivity: Investigating networks of multivariate representations. Trends in Cognitive Sciences.
- Witherspoon, E., Schunn, C. D., Higashi, R., & Shoop, R. (2018). Attending to structural programming features predicts differences in learning and motivation. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 34(2).
- Fan, Q., Nummenmaa, A., Wichtmann, B. Witzel, T., Mekkaoui, C., Schneider, W., Wald, L. L., & Huang, S. Y. (2018). Validation of diffusion MRI estimates of compartment size and volume fraction in a biomimetic brain phantom using a human MRI scanner with 300 mT/m maximum gradient strength. NeuroImage.
- Tuninetti, A., & Tokowicz, N. (2018). The influence of a first language: Training nonnative listeners on voicing contrasts. Language, Cognition, and Neuroscience, 33(6), 750-768.
- Litman, D. J., & Nguyen, H. V. (2018). Argument mining for improving the automated scoring of persuasive essays. Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., Moore, D., Dorph, R., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). Investigating the multidimensionality of engagement: Affective, behavioral, and cognitive engagement across science activities and contexts. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Page, L. C., Iriti, J. E., Lowry, D. J., & Anthony, A. M. (2018). The promise of place-based investment in postsecondary access and success: Investigating the impact of the Pittsburgh Promise. Education Finance and Policy.
- Wang., E., Matsumura, L. C., & Correnti, R. (2018). Student writing accepted as high-quality analytic responses to analytic text-based writing tasks. The Elementary School Journal 118(3), 358-383.
- Derringer, C., & Rottman, B. (2018). How people learn about causal influence when there are many possible causes: A model based on informative transitions. Cognitive Psychology, 102, 41-71.
- Kinloch, V., & Dixon, K. (2018). Professional development as publicly engaged scholarship in urban schools: Implications for educational justice, equity, and humanization. English Education, 50(2), 147-171
- Richey, E. J., Nokes-Malach, T. J., & Cohen, K. (2018). Collaboration facilitates abstract category learning. Memory and Cognition, 46(5), 685-698.
- Bray, L. E., & Russell, J. L. (2018). The dynamic interaction between institutional pressures and activity: An examination of the implementation of IEPs in secondary inclusive settings. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis.
- Xiong, Y., & Suen, H. K. (2018). Assessment approaches in massive open online courses: Possibilities, challenges and future directions. International Review of Education.
- Wu, Z., & Juffs, A. (2018). Revisiting the revised hierarchical model: Evidence for concept mediation in backward translation. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 1-15.
- Liu, A. S., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). The effects of school-related and home-related optional science experiences on science attitudes and knowledge. Journal of Educational Psychology, 110(6), 798-810.
- Liu, R., Schunn, C. D., Fiez, J. A., & Libertus, M. E. (2018). The integration between nonsymbolic and symbolic numbers: Evidence from an EEG study. Brain and Behavior, 8(4).
- Schunn, C. D., Newcombe, N. S., Alfieri, L., Cromley, J. G., Massey, C., & Merlino, J. F. (2018). Using principles of cognitive science to improve science learning in middle school: What works when and for whom? Journal of Theoretical Social Psychology, 32(2), 225-240.
- Zheng, P., & Libertus, M. (2018). The role of parental education, household income, and race on parents' academic beliefs and the provision of home learning opportunities for 4- to 8-year-old children. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 8(1), 118-132.
- Milburn, E., Warren, T., & Walsh Dickey, M. (2018). Idiom comprehension in aphasia: Literal interference and abstract representation. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 47, 16-36.
- Smythe-Leistico, K., & Page, L. C. (2018). Connect-Text: Leveraging text-message communication to mitigate chronic absenteeism and improve parental engagement in the earliest years of schooling. Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk.
- Amemiya, J., & Wang, M. T. (2018). Why effort praise can backfire in adolescence. Child Development Perspectives, 2(3), 199-203.
- Kontos, A. P., Collins, M. W., Holland, C. L., Reeves, V. L., Edelman, K., Benso, S., Schneider, W., & Okonkwo, D. (2018). Preliminary evidence for improvement in symptoms, cognitive, vestibular, and oculomotor outcomes following targeted intervention with chronic mTBI patients. Military Medicine, 183(1), 333-338.
- Cho, B-Y., Han, H., & Kucan, L. (2018) An exploratory study of middle-school-learners' historical reading in an internet environment. Reading and Writing.
- Morris, P., Connors, M., Friedman-Krauss, A., McCoy, D., Weiland, C., Feller, A., Page, L., Bloom, H., & Yoshikawa, H. (2018). New findings on impact variation from the Head Start Impact Study: Informing the scale-up of early childhood programs. AERA Open, 4(2), 1–16.
- Soo, K. W., & Rottman, B. M. (2018). Causal strength induction from time series data. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 147(4), 485-513.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved