in the news ►
Bringing Words to Life, by Moddy McKeown, Isabel Beck, and Linda Kucan, rated one of "ten books every teacher should read" by The Guardian.
in the news ►
Informal environments beyond the school day promote flexibility that let children engage in science in the same way they play sports or create art.
in the news ►
Does more rigorous middle school math coursework change students’ college readiness?
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Seminar
11:00 am - 12:00 pm, BST South, S120
Michael B. Wolfson, Ph.D., Program Director, NIH/NIBIB, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, National Institutes of Health, will present "Grantsmanship: This Time It's Personal."
Cognitive Brown Bag
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, LRDC, 9th Floor
Ben Rottman, Assistant Professor, Psychology, and LRDC Research Scientist, will present "Methods: Bayesian Statistics - Beyond p-Values." More information here: https://sites.google.com/site/cognitivebrownbag/
► More Talks
7:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Gates-Hillman Center, Room 5207, CMU
The next CNBC MATLAB Mini-Course will be held on four Thursday evenings beginning September 21, 2017, and continuing on 10/5, 10/12, and 10/19 (tentatively skipping 9/28). There are two sections. Section A meets from 7 PM - 8:30 PM; section B meets from 8:30 PM - 10:00 PM. Please sign up here.
- Zywica, J., Gomez, K., & Matsumura, L. C. (in press). Media literacies as pivots for “opening up” the figured world of English Language Arts. International Journal of Learning and Media.
- Russell, J. L., Kehoe, S., & Crowley, K. (in press). Linking in and out-of-school learning. In K. Peppler (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Out-of-School Learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Allen, L. B. & Crowley, K. (in press). Knowledge is not enough: A learning ecologies approach to climate change education. International Journal of Global Warming.
- Schunn, C.D., Godley, A.J. & DeMartino, S. (in press). The reliability and
validity of peer review of writing in high school AP English classes. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy.
- Perfetti, C. A. & Harris, L. (in press). Learning to read English. In L. Verhoeven & C. A. Perfetti (Eds.), Learning to read across languages and writing systems. Cambridge University Press.
- Paletz, S., Chan, J., & Schunn, C. D. (in press). Uncovering uncertainty through disagreement. Applied Cognitive Psychology.
- Cox, C., Apedoe, X., Silk, E., & Schunn, C. D. (in press). Analyzing materials in order to find design opportunities for the classroom. In Z. Kabayadondo & S. Goldman (Eds.), Design Thinking.
- Lee, E.-K. & Fraundorf, S. H. (in press). Effects of contrastive accents in memory for L2 discourse. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition.
- Bracken, J., Degani, T., Eddington, C. M., & Tokowicz, N. (in press). Translation semantic variability: How semantic relatedness affects learning of translation-ambiguous words. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition.
- Braham, E., & Libertus, M. (in press). Intergenerational associations in numerical approximation and mathematical abilities. Developmental Science.
- Cho, B-Y., Afflerbach, P., & Han, H. (in press). Strategic processing in accessing, comprehending, and using multiple sources. In J. Braasch, I. Bråten, & M. McCrudden (Eds.), Handbook of multiple source use. London, UK: Routledge.
- Tison Povis, K. & Crowley, K. (in press). Togetherness: A common language for research and practice around family learning in museums. Curator: The Museum Journal.
- Eberbach, C.E. & Crowley, K. (in press). From seeing to observing: How parents and children learn to see science in a botanical garden. Journal of the Learning Sciences.
- Moore, M. W., Fiez, J. A., & Tompkins, C. A. (in press). Consonant age of acquisition effects in nonword repetition are not articulatory in nature. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Ying, Y., Dickey, M. W., Fiez , J. A., Murphy, B., Mitchell, T., Collinger, J., Tyler-Kabara, E., Boninger, M., & Wang, W. (in press). Sensorimotor experience with verb-category mapping in human sensory, motor, and parietal neurons. Cortex.
- Yang, D., Kraut, R., & Levine, J. M. (in press). Commitment of newcomers and old-timers to online health support communities. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017). New York: ACM Press.
- Libertus, K., Libertus, M., Einspieler, C., & Marschik, P. (in press). "What" matters more than "Why" - Neonatal behaviors initiate social responses. Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
- Paletz, S. B. F., & Schunn, C. D. (in press). Micro-conflict coding scheme. In E. Brauner, Boos, & Kolbe (Eds.), Cambridge Handbook of Group Interaction Analysis.
- Patchan, M. M., Schunn, C.D., & Clark, R. J. (in press). Accountability in peer assessment: examining the effects of reviewing grades on peer ratings and peer feedback. Studies in Higher Education.
- Higashi, R. M., & Schunn, C. D. (in press). Different underlying motivations and abilities predict students’ versus teachers’ persistence in an online course. Educational Technology Research and Development.
- Wang, M. T., Fredricks, J. A., Ye, F., Hofkens, T. L., & Linn, J. S. (in press). Conceptualization and assessment of adolescents’ engagement and disengagement in school: A multidimensional school engagement scale. Psychological Assessment.
- Fredricks, J. A., Hofkens, T. L., Wang, M. T. (in press). Supporting girls’ and boys’ engagement in math and science learning: A mixed methods study. Journal of Research in Science Teaching.
- Wang, M. T., Chow, A., & Amemiya, J. L. (in press). Who wants to play? Sport motivation trajectories, sport participation, and the development of depressive symptoms. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Wang, M. T., Ye, F., & Degol, J. L. (in press). Who chooses STEM careers? Using a relative cognitive strength and interest model to predict careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Child Development.
- Degol, J. L., & Wang, M. T. (in press). Who makes the cut? Parental involvement and math trajectories predicting college enrollment. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved