in the news ►
Vincent-Ruz Explores Secret Silos of Chemistry Research
in the news ►
Iriti and colleagues awarded NSF grant for diversity in STEM
in the news ►
LRDC newsletter: Self-Affirmation Scholars Meet at LRDC
Pitt Psychiatry Special Guest Lecture
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, Starzl Biomedical Science Tower, Room W1695
Blaise Frederick, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Associate Biophysicist, McLean Hospital, Director, Technical & Instrumentation Core, McLean Imaging Center, presents "Using Resting State fMRI to Study Everything but Neuronal Activity."
Faculty Book Talks
4:30 pm - 5:30 pm, Thornburgh Room, First Floor Hillman Library
Alan Lesgold presents Learning for the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Eight Education Competencies.
Cognitive Brown Bag Series
► More Talks
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, LRDC 9th Floor
Griffin Koch, graduate student, presents "Image Memorability is Predicted by Activity Across Different Stages of Convolutional Neural Networks." Kole Norberg, graduate student, presents "Adaptive Reading in Response to Connective Location and Clause Order."
- Walsh, M., Matsumura, L.C., Zook-Howell, D., Correnti, R., & Bickel, D.D. (2020). Video-based literacy coaching to develop teachers' professional vision for dialogic classroom text discussions.
Teaching and Teacher Education, 89.
- Soo, K., & Rottman, B. (2020). Distinguishing causation and correlation: Causal learning from time-series graphs with trends. Cognition.
- Ribner, A. (2020). Executive function facilitates learning from math instruction in kindergarten: Evidence from the ECLS-K. Learning and Instruction, 65.
- Leyva, D., Reese, E., Laible, D., Schaughency, E., Das, S., & Clifford, A. (2019). The art of elaboration: Differential links of parents’ elaboration to children’s autobiographical memory and socioemotional skills. Journal of Cognition and Development.
- McKeown, M. G. (2019). Effective vocabulary instruction fosters knowing words, using words, and understanding how words work. Language Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 50, 466–476.
- Wiener, S., Tokowicz, N. (2019). Language proficiency is only part of the story: Lexical access in heritage and non-heritage bilinguals. Second Language Research, 1-15.
- Rice, C.A. & Tokowicz, N. (2019). State of the scholarship: A review of laboratory studies of adult second language vocabulary training. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 1-32.
- Wallace, T. L., Parr, A. K., & Correnti, R. J. (2019). Assessing teachers’ classroom management competency: A case study of the classroom assessment scoring system–secondary. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment.
- Kalender, Y., Marshman, E., Schunn, C., Nokes-Malach, T., & Singh, C. (2019). Gendered patterns in the construction of physics identity from motivational factors. Physical Review Physics Education Research.
- Nokes-Malach, T., Kalender, Y., Marshman, E., Schunn, C., & Singh, C. (2019). Prior preparation and motivational characteristics mediate relations between gender and learning outcomes in introductory physics. Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Pittsburgh.
- Russell, J. L., Correnti, R., Stein, M. K., Bill, V., Hannan, M., Schwartz, N., & Matthis, C. (2019). Learning from adaptation to support instructional improvement at scale: understanding coach adaptation in the TN mathematics coaching project. American Educational Research Journal.
- Henry, D., Miller, P., Votruba-Drzal, E., & Parr, A. (2019). Chapter nine- safe and sound? Exploring parents' perceptions of neighborhood safety at the nexus of race and socioeconomic status. Science Direct.
- Martin, K. I., & Tokowicz, N. (2019). The grammatical class effect is separable from the concreteness effect in language learning. Bilingualism: Language & Cognition .
- Afrin, T., & Litman, D. (2019). Identifying editor roles in argumentative writing from student revision histories. Springer Link.19
- Binning, K., Cook, J., Purdie-Greenaway, V., Garcia, J., Chen, S., Apfel, N., Sherman, D., Cohen, G. (2019). Bolstering trust and reducing discipline incidents at a diverse middle school: How self-affirmation affects behavioral conduct during the transition to adolescence. Trust, Discipline, and the Self.
- Matsumura, L. C., Correnti, R., Walsh, M., Zook-Howell, D., & Bickel, D.D. (2019). Online content-focused coaching to increase classroom text discussion quality. Journal of Technology, Pedagogy and Education.
- Miller, P., Votruba-Drzal, E., & Coley, R.L. (2019). Examining administrative data on community context to explain variability in poor children’s achievement across urbanicity. The Russell Sage Foundation Journal of the Social Sciences, 5, 106-122.
- Marsland, A., Gentile, D., Hinze-Crout, A., von Stauffenberg, C., Rosen, R., Tavares, A., Votruba-Drzal, E., Cohen, S., McQuaid, E., & Ewing, L. (2019). A randomized pilot trial of a school-based psychoeducational intervention for children with asthma. Clinical and Experimental Allergy.
- Heatly, M.C. & Votruba-Drzal, E. (2019). Developmental precursors of engagement and motivation in fifth grade: linkages with parent- and teacher-child relationships. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 60, 144 - 156.
- Amemiya, J. L., Fine, A., & Wang, M. T. (2019). Trust and discipline: Adolescents’ institutional and teacher trust predict their behavioral responses to discipline. Child Development, 10, 1-18.
- Elliott, L., Feigenson, L., Halberda, J., & Libertus, M. (2019). Bidirectional, longitudinal associations between math ability and approximate number system acuity in childhood. Journal of Cognition and Development, 20(1), 56-74.
- Leyva, D. (2019). How do low-income Chilean parents support their preschoolers’ writing and math skills in a grocery game? Early Education and Development, 30, 114-130.
- Leyva, D., Tamis-LeMonda, C., & Yoshikawa, H. (2019). What parents bring to the table: Maternal behaviors in a grocery game and first graders’ literacy and math skills in a low-income sample. The Elementary School Journal, 119, 629-650.
- Wei, R., Ronfard, S., Leyva, D., & Rowe, M. (2019). Teaching a novel word: Parenting styles and toddlers’ word learning. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology.
- Vincent-Ruz, P., & Schunn, C. (2019). Identity Complexes and Science Identity in Early Secondary: Mono-topical or in Combination with Other Topical Identities. Springer Link.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved