in the news ►
How to Promote Adolescent Social Distancing
in the news ►
Associate Director Jennifer Russell Featured in May 9 Wall Street Journal Article on COVID and Kindergarten
in the news ►
"Why Do We Want to Love Aliens?" Read Marc Coutanche's answer in the May 26 Pittwire "What's Out There?"
Neurobiology/Neuroscience Fall 2021 Seminar
1:00 PM, ONLINE
Yingxi Lin, PhD, Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
SUNY Upstate Medical University, will present "Active Neuronal Ensembles." Zoom link for this presentation here.
Cognitive Talks Series
How do scientific misconceptions arise, and what can be done to correct them? At this Cognitive Talk, Zachary Horne, University of Edinburgh, will discuss this question in his presentation "Correcting Scientific Misconceptions." Join this Cognitive Talk at the zoom link
Victor M. Bearg Neuroscience Lecture Series
► More Talks
4:00 PM, ONLINE
Featuring Kafui Dzirasa, M.D., Ph.D, and Elizabeth Ransey, Ph.D, This talk will explore a future in which psychiatric illness is diagnosed by measuring and mapping changes in electrical impulses in the brain, and treated by editing neural circuits to correct the flow of electricity within and across brain regions. You can find the Zoom link for this CNBC lecture
- Leyva, D., Von Suchodoletz, A., Doering, E., Shroff, D., Hinojo, A., & Kartner, J. (2021). Maternal book-sharing styles and goals and children’s verbal contributions in three communities. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 54, 228-238.
- Betancur, L., Maldonado-Carreño, C., Votruba-Drzal, E. & Bernal, R. (2021). Measuring preschool quality in low- and middle-income countries: Validity of the ECERS-R in Colombia. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 54(1), 86-98.
- Coley, R.L., Spielvogel, B., Kruzik, C., Miller, P., Betancur, L., & Votruba-Drzal, E. (2021). Explaining income disparities in young children’s development: The role of community contexts and family processes. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 55, 295 – 311.
- Wang, M.T., Binning, K.R., Del Toro, J., Qin, X., & Zepeda, C.D. (2021). Skill, thrill, and will: The role of metacognition, interest, and self-control in predicting student engagement in mathematics learning over time. Child Development, 92 (1).
- Palacios-Barrios, E. E., Hanson, J. L., Barry, K. R., Albert, D., White, S. F., Skinner, A. T., & Lansford, J. E. (2021). Lower neural value signaling in the prefrontal cortex is related to childhood family income and depressive symptomatology during adolescence. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 48.
- Leyva, D., Weiland, C., Shapiro, A., Yeomans-Maldonado, G., & Febles, A. (2021). A Strengths-Based, Culturally Responsive Family Intervention Improves Latino Kindergarteners’ Vocabulary and Approaches to Learning. (EdWorkingPaper: 21-349). Retrieved from Annenberg Institute at Brown University.
- Morett, L. M., Fraundorf, S. H., & McPartland, J. C. (2021). Eye see what you're saying: Contrastive use of beat gesture and pitch accent affects online interpretation of spoken discourse. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition.
- Xiong, Y. & Schunn, C.D. (2021). Reviewer, essay, and review process characteristics that predict errors in web-based peer review. Computers & Education.
- Leyva, D., Weiland, C., Shapiro, A., Yeomans-Maldonado, G., & Febles, A. (2021). A strengths-based, culturally responsive family intervention improves latino kindergarteners’ vocabulary and approaches to learning. (EdWorkingPaper: 21-349). Retrieved from Annenberg Institute at Brown University.
- Apedoe, X.S., Ellefson, M.R., & Schunn, C.D. (2021). "Chapter 4 Supporting Conceptual Change in Chemistry through Design-Based Learning." In I. Henze & M.J. de Vries (Eds.). Design-Based Concept Learning in Science and Technology Education,(vol. 17, pp. 49-74). Brill | Sense.
- John-Henderson, N.A., Wright, R.C., Manke, K.J.,& Fotuhi, O., Zuckerman, B., Nally, L., & Mueller, C.M. (2021). The influence of health mindset on perceptions of illness and behaviors among adolescentsInternational Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 28(1)
- Ashley, K., Litman, D., He, D., Hwa, R., & Anderson, J. (2021). Center for text analytic methods in legal studies. In: Pitt Momentum Fund 2021.
- Krieger, D., Shepard, P., Soose, R., Puccio, A.M., Beers, S., Schneider, W., Kontos, A.P., Collins, M.W., & Okonkwo, D.O. (2021). Symptom-dependent changes in MEG-derived neuroelectric brain activity in traumatic brain injury patients with chronic symptoms. Medical Sciences, 9(20),1-30.
- Del Toro, J. & Wang, M.T. (2021). Longitudinal inter-relations between school cultural socialization and school engagement: The mediating role of school climate.Learning and Instruction, 75.
- Leyva, D., Molina, D.C., Suárez, C., Tamis-LeMonda, C.S., & Yoshikawa, H. (2021). Mother-child reminiscing and first-graders’ emotion competence in a low-income and ethnically diverse sample.Journal of Cognition and Development, 22(1).
- Norberg, K.A. & Fraundorf, S.H. (2021). Memory benefits from contrastive focus truly require focus: Evidence from clefts and connectives.Language, Cognition and Neuroscience, 36(3).
- Ren, X., & Coutanche, M.N. (2021). Sleep reduces the semantic coherence of memory recall: An application of latent semantic analysis to investigate memory reconstruction. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review.
- Keele, L., Lenard, M. & Page, L. (2021). Matching methods for clustered observational studies in education. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness.
- Guzman-Alvarez, A. & Page, L.C. (2021). Disproportionate burden: Estimating the cost of PAFSA verification for public colleges and universities. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis.
- Stein, M.K., Russell, J.L., Bill, V., Correnti, R., & Speranzo, L. (2021). Coach learning to help teachers learn to enact conceptually rich, student-focused mathematics lessons. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education.
- Blatt, L. & Votruba-Drzal, E.(2021). District-level school choice and racial/ethnic test score gaps. American Educational Research Journal.
- Guzman-Alvarez, A. & Page, L.C.(2021). Disproportionate burden: Estimating the cost of FAFSA verification for public colleges and universities. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis.
- Wang, M.T., Scanlon, C.L., Hua, M., & Del Toro, J. (2021). Safely social: Promoting and sustaining adolescent engagement in social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Badea, C., Binning, K.R., Sherman, D.K., Boza, M., & Kende, A. (2021). Conformity to group norms: How group-affirmation shapes collective action. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 95.
- Kramer II, D.A., Lamb, C.J., & Page, L.C. (2021). The effects of default choice on student loan borrowing: Experimental evidence from a public research university. (EdWorkingPaper: 21-382). Retrieved from Annenberg Institute at Brown University.
Copyright 2020 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved